War of the Worlds H.G. Wells

     During the Summer, I read the well-known science fiction book War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. This novel is about the invasion of Martians on Earth. One thing I loved about this book is how much effort went into describing the Martians as a species. The Martians are described as one hundred foot tall creatures with tentacles. In the novel, there is an entire chapter solely devoted to analyzing and describing the Martians. I haven't read another book that devotes a whole chapter to analyzing and describing the main antagonist. I could understand why some people might not like this because it takes away from plot development, but I enjoyed reading and learning about the adversary.
     As I was reading, I wondered why H.G. Wells left the narrator unnamed. At first this confused me because the narrator was apart of the action the entire time. I have never read a novel that leaves the main character without a name or title. Also, the book never gives a description of the protagonist. I assume that H.G. Wells did this to make the narrator more relatable. The situation H.G. Wells puts the narrator is easy to empathize with. Since the novel is written in first person, it is easy to put yourself in the position of the narrator: just a normal person with a family trying to survive the Martian onslaught. 

Comments

  1. I liked your introduction and your title. Our flash theories are always great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are you distracted by technology?

Research Update

Final Fantasy XV: A Beautiful Piece of Art