Check. Mate?

     For class, I had to read a personal narrative called "Check. Mate?" by Miles Pequeno. The narrative is about a boy and his experience playing chess with his father. In the narrative, Miles introduces the relationship between father and son as complicated. The father teaches the boy lessons through them playing chess. I personally love the game of chess. I have played for as long as I can remember. My father taught me how to play, but we rarely played after he taught me. I often played against my brother. We were both more evenly matched. I can relate to the story because of this.
     The narrator also phrases most of the narrative in chess terminology. One time, the narrator calls himself a pawn in his fathers eyes. At the end, the narrator reflects by saying he could make everything work if he made the right moves. This really builds on the chess theme that permeates the entire story. I don't think it would seem as good if the narrator just said, "I was part of his plan" or, "I can make everything work in the end."The way the author writes reinforces the chess idea throughout the narrative.

Comments

  1. I am always super excited to read your blogs. I think it is very good how you relate the story to your own life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great reflection. the way you write flows really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how you described the narrative. I also found it interesting how you relate to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you relate to the character in this. You do a great job of of questioning things in this

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are you distracted by technology?

Research Update

Final Fantasy XV: A Beautiful Piece of Art